Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cognitive Learning in the Classroom

The strategies that I explored this week correlate with the principles of cognitive learning theory because they create learning situations that have an impact on the students information processing.  When it comes to cognitive learning it talks about how students retain information in the classroom.  I have used virtual field trips and concept maps to create episodic experiences with my students.  I have found that my students retain more information when they can recall an image to associate with a concept.  I like to incorporate a lot of audio and visual components into my lessons.  I have found that these are the lessons that my students remember the most.  When my students have to read a story and I do not have a visual connection to show them they do not do as well as they would have if I had showed them something to make a connection with the text.  Personally I find it easier to retain information myself when I have something to make a visual connection with. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

During this week I had my first exposure to the virtual field trip! What an amazing use of the technology we currently have! Dr Orey talked about how episodic memory is very powerful. If we can connect what we want our students to learn to an episodic memory or better yet create one, we can be much more effective in our teaching. Do you have a particular location where you find the menu of the virtual field trips you can take? I would love to include this type of experience into my class.

Marisa said...

I too like to use as many ways to connect information when teaching a skill or concept. I always tell my students that they more ways they see, hear, do, etc. the more places their brain has to find that information later. What has been your most successful virtual field trip? This has been my first experience with it and the students LOVED it.

msaroberts said...

It important for to teach students to try and form a picture or create a movie in their mind when reading. To help my students learn how to create a picture I have several activities I do with them. I had the students close their eyes as I read a short story. The student are told that they must create a picture of what I'm reading. Afterwards, students draw a picture of what they saw in their mind. At first it difficulty because students felt that their characters had to look like what their peers thought. After reading a story I sometimes have students explained to me how the picture the characters and the setting. This helps students remember the details of a story better.
Alicia R.

S. Rueger said...

Sadie's response to Leann,

Here is a good site to use. I often just type in the subject that I want my virtual field trip to focus on and I am able to find what I am looking for.

http://eduscapes.com/tap/topic35.htm

Sadie

S. Rueger said...

Marisa,

My most successful virtual field trip was to the concentration camps in Germany. Many of my students were so excited and they thought we would be going there as a class. I felt bad that we couldn't physically take the trip but at least they got to see the places that we were reading about.

Sadie

S. Rueger said...

Sadie's response to Alicia R

I have not tried this activity with my students. I will try this with them very soon. It is a great idea to work with them on this matter.

Sadie

Marisa said...

Thank you for sharing. I bet the students really learned a lot!