Friday, May 14, 2010

School Blogging

I am not sure how I would use a blog in my classroom. My school has a strict policy about blogs. They do not want teachers to be friends on blogs with students. I would love to have a blog where students could interact. If this was possible I would create a blog that was dedicated to young adult literature. I would create a place where my students would be able to find suggestions for books and share their opinions about the latest material that is out there. I teach all four levels of English and I feel like a class blog would bring students of all levels together. Maybe my freshman could learn from my juniors and seniors.

4 comments:

M. Martin said...

Perhaps you could create bookclub blogs or book pass blogs. Bookclub blogs might encourage students to share and respond while reading common books of interest, while the book pass might offer suggestions and critiques of the latest young adult literature. I agree that blogging would be a powerful way for students to interact while encouraging a love of literature.

S. Rueger said...

Bookclub blogs would be a good idea. It would be good to hear varying opinions from different students about the same book. this would also open up a line of communication for some students.

Kathy said...

Sadie,
It seems most of we English teachers would like to see these blogs used to promote books, book discussions, book talks. Our school has 45 minute periods and it is impossible to do all you want to do in that amount of time. The blog would be a helpful extension of the classroom.

I also like the fact that students can review the books they read and post their comments online.

Good Luck blogging!
Kathy

Unknown said...

In the context of bookclub blogs, you could also get the authors involved. We recently had two young adult authors speak at our school, and the kids were sorry to see them go as they had so many questions. Inviting the authros to the blog continues the dialogue.