Saturday, March 12, 2011

My 2011 GAME plan

The GAME plan enables you to customize your approach to learning tasks, to develop relevant skills that are important to you and prepares you for lifelong learning (Cennamo, 2009). The GAME Plan consists of four major components that are:


1. Set Goals

2. Take Action to meet those goals

3. Monitor progress made towards achieving those goals

4. Evaluating the success and extending one’s learning to include new situations.

My GAME plan for addressing standards set forth by the National Educational Technology Standards for Students will address inspiring and facilitating student creativity and learning and promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility.

The first of the two standards I have chosen is to facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity. I plan to create a classroom blog with a future goal of incorporating podcast where students will engage with the literature and each other. Since this will be my first attempt at this we will work as a class and most of the work and blogging will be done during class time set aside. Hopefully my students will think deeper into the topic at hand and personally engage with their work. I will evaluate their progress according to a rubric that I will develop specifically for this activity.

The second standard I would like to address would be to promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility. I have come to the knowledge that my students (even my seniors) do not know how to properly cite their sources. The goal is to successfully have my students document copyrighted material. The best way to start this is by showing my students how to find and evaluate credible sources of information on the internet. I will discuss and model different strategies for my students. I will monitor my students progress and ensure that they are using the correct process. I will create a rubric for evaluation and hold conference with my students to ensure their success.

References:


Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf.

4 comments:

Anthony said...

Sadie,

One thing that I think may work out well for more student participation is maybe starting a class Wiki, so that there can be continuous and instant interaction between classmates. The blog is a good idea to keep students up to date with things that you have done, are doing or going to do in class. The students can then respond, much like what I am doing now, to what you have posted. I suppose a blog would also be good for that purpose, you post a question and get reaction from your students or colleagues to that question. I have created a blog in the past that let parents and students know what was going on in class. It allowed students to know what they missed in case they were absent and parents knew what we were studying at any given time.
The wikispaces.com is a good place to look into starting a class wiki, this allows students to work together simultaneously on a project without having to wait for someone else to do their part. This way they can work together from their homes without having to be together to complete tasks.

Anthony

Eric said...

You will absolutely need to allow class time for students to work on their blogs and eventual podcast. It may even be a good idea to allow them to first blog about something they are interested in and the same with podcasting. Once students have familiarized themselves with the two technology tools, you can then introduce the curriculum they will be fusing with the technology. Your students level of confidence will directly impact level of engagement, enjoyment, and knowledge of the subject matter.

S. Rueger said...

Anthony,

I tried a wiki last year and it was a complete mess. Everyone had a hard time keeping up with their passwords and didn't want to do any of the work at home. Wikis require students to edit and it is a lot of work. I do want to try it again and I now what I need to do differently with my class. My students are not intimidated by blogging but they are with wikis. I will take your advice to heart because I would like to try wikis again.

Sadie

S. Rueger said...

Eric,

I am thinking about creating a podcast and posting it on the blog so that my students have a reference for their discussions. Later after I have had a chance to work with my students on podcasting I will have them create some to put on a classroom blog.

Sadie