Saturday, April 23, 2011

GAME Plan Reflection

In my Game Plan reflection I would like to begin with a quote that I used in my first blog. The GAME plan enables you to customize your approach to learning tasks, to develop relevant skills that are important to you and prepares you for lifelong learning (Cennamo, 2009). The two National Education Standards for Teachers that I decided to work with were:


1. facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity

. 2.be to promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility

Throughout this course I learned how to develop new lessons that would inspire my students to go beyond what was expected of them. I developed new lessons that would give my students an opportunity to explore who they are and use their personal creativity. In my English class my students enjoyed doing the web quest and getting out of the classroom to work in the computer lab. When it comes to digital citizenship my students still have a ways to go but they are trying to give credit where it is due and that is an improvement.

From this course I learned so many things. My favorite new concept is digital storytelling. I have not had a chance to use the new digital storytelling lesson that I developed but I look forward to the chance to put it to use. I plan on trying it out myself but I can imagine how much fun my students will have creating this project.

The immediate modifications to my instructional process is to include more time for technology in my classroom. I know that I will have to schedule more computer lab time in to my planning. I will also have to make it my goal to make sure that my students have the basic computer knowledge. It is really shocking to see how little my students know about technology. I will also have to make sure that my students know that technology can be very useful in an English classroom. When I took my students to the computer lab for a couple of days before spring break I often heard my students complaining that they were in the lab again because this was an English class and not a computer class. They need to be made aware that technology can benefit them in every class and my GAME plan will help me teach them this.



References:


Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf.

No comments: