Thursday, January 10, 2013

Collaboration


Collaboration

Howard Rhinegold talked about how in history humans have found ways to work with each other for the greater good.  He used the example of hunting big game and that it is impossible for one person to take down a mastodon.  Humans would have to come together to kill such a creature.  Personally I believe that humans only like to come together when it serves a common goal.  Most of the time people like to do things as individuals.
In my classroom whenever I mention group work there seems to be a wave of groans and questions of can I work by myself.  Technology can facilitate collaboration amongst learners because it can help elevate some of the fears and concerns that students have when it comes to collaborative assignments.  A student’s participation and contributions can be tracked and this helps the grading process. 
I found this link of useful resources and I would like to share it with everyone:  http://www.collaborativelearning.org  there are lots of resources available for free.    The research study that I would like to point my classmates to is located at: http://ehis.ebscohost.com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?sid=02b02570-6aea-4d86-a821-e1217721fe99%40sessionmgr12&vid=8&hid=22.
References
Burger, S., & McFarland, M. (2009). Action Research and Wikis: An Effective Collaboration. Library Media Connection, 28(2), 38-40.
 Rheingold, H. (2008, February). Howard Rheingold on collaboration [Video file]. Retrieved from
http://www.ted.com/talks/howard_rheingold_on_collaboration.html

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You made some great point in your blog. I really like when you said, "I believe that humans only like to come together when it serves a common goal. Most of the time people like to do things as individuals". That statement is so true. What are one of your for educational technology?

Anonymous said...

You talked about your students groaning when asked to work in groups and collaborate. In my Grade 8 class, I am finding quite the opposite this year. I teach math and science and I am surprised at the level of engagement and motivation in learning and completing the activities as a group in a collaborative manner. When I walk around observing, they are actively working together to solve the problem (math) or engrossed in a discussion about a science issue (cloning, best way to build their roller coaster, etc). They came together for a common goal but they are also learning and appreciating the strengths and knowledge that each one brings to the table. Granted, they are working together to complete their work, but for whatever reason, they want to work together and they are focused.

Using technology would be a great extension for collaboration. Using technology and social media sites such as Face Book and Twitter can be ideal to increase motivation and engagement for collaboration. These are the types of tools they are growing up with to communicate and connect with their community and the world, so why not take advantage of them in education.

Are there specific technology tools you use for collaboration?

Davenport-Ed said...

I would agree with you concerning the apparent attitude of students regarding collaboration or group activities. It does seem like technology can help students overcome this negative attitude. I believe that it is also necessary to clearly and precisely demonstrate what it means to work together on a particular project.

KCannon said...

I think with collaboration there is always an overarching goal. There is an objective that all members are trying to reach whether it be survival, monetary, or a grade. I find that my students have the opposite reaction of yours. They always want every assignment to be collaborative. I was really astonished this past Friday at how well and quickly they completed a vocabulary task that I gave them. I hear the groans and "Aww man" when I tell them they cannot work together. Not to say that every single one of my students likes collaborative work but I don't getting many who are not willing to share their ideas and workload.

Thanks for the resource as well.

S. Rueger said...

I would like to include my collaborative writing. This is something that I would like to try with my students. I believe that my students do not know how to do this and this would be a great skill for them to have after high school.

S. Rueger said...

To anonymous,
I have tried using wikis and the experience was really bad. I don't know the reason why. Maybe I should have tried a different type of technology.

Unknown said...

Mrs. Rueger,
I agree that it is difficult to create a collaborative environment, when we learned to be individualistic. We were taught on different ways. We learned and we were required to proof our learning through tests. Students are still under that umbrella. Changing to a collaborative learning environment will bring resistance at the beginling. I believe, they eventually will adapt.

Yahira